For more thorough descriptions of the Writing Requirement, click here.
The Writing Requirement in AXLE consists of three to four courses:
1. English 1100
- Not required for students with appropriate ACT or SAT scores or AP/IB/pre-freshman or transfer credit.
- If required, must be completed by the end of the second semester in residence.
2. First-Year Writing Seminar
- Must be completed by the end of the second semester in residence.
- Must be an A&S first-year writing seminar (all are numbered 1111), not a Peabody first-year seminar (numbered 1117).
3. 1000-level W course
- Must be completed by the end of the fourth semester in residence.
- W courses at the 2000-level and above cannot be substituted for 1000-level W courses.
4. 1000-level W course or 2000-level or above W course or upper-level Oral Communications course (CMST 2100, 2110, or 2120)
- Must be completed by the end of the final semester.
Some points to remember about the Writing Requirement and AXLE:
- With the exception of English 1100, courses that fulfill the Writing Requirement also count toward one of the Liberal Arts categories (e.g., Sociology 1010W = SBS; English 1260W = HCA, American Studies 1002W = US).
- Students can perform an advanced search in YES for available W courses each semester using the "Class Attributes" function.