Vanderbilt offers many courses in more than 20 languages every semester, ranging from Korean to Portuguese to Swahili to Arabic. No matter your language of interest, you will be sure to find engaging courses with world-class instructors. Students’ exploration of their chosen language—through class projects and extracurricular activities—in scientific, literary, musical, medical, professional, artistic, sport, technological, and other social contexts—deepens our understanding and facilitates communication.
Fall 2023 Featured Course
HNUR-1101: Elementary Hindi-Urdu I
HNUR 1101 is the first course of the Elementary Hindi-Urdu sequence designed for true beginners, with no prior knowledge of Hindi/Urdu. Introduction to reading and writing in Devanagari (Hindi) and Nastaliq (Urdu) scripts and to South Asian cultural materials.
The course has a fourfold objective:
- Acquisition of elementary linguistic structures of Hindi and Urdu
- Development of communicative and interactional abilities in Hindi and Urdu
- Development of analytical competence and learner autonomy through linguistic analysis and reflection
- Development of sociocultural awareness governing language use and intercultural curiosity
Classes are based primarily on student initiative, interaction, and collaborative work.
- MW: 1:25 – 2:15 p.m.; 2:30 – 3:20 p.m.
- TR: 1:15 – 2:30 p.m.; 2:45 – 4 p.m.