Application Guidelines and Requirements:
Please note that as the MLAS program is designed as a part-time degree program, we do not accept international applicants.
1. The MLAS program offers "Rolling Admissions" in that applications may be submitted at any time, and are reviewed and evaluated as they are received. However, the sooner that an application is received prior to the term in which the student wishes to begin study, the better. Please note that if an application is submitted less than a month prior to the start of the term of matriculation, there may not be enough time for that application to complete the review and evaluation process.
2. An Official Transcript, indicating a completed course of study equivalent to that required for a bachelor's degree at an accredited institution, are required before an admissions decision can be made. If more than one college or university was attended on the way toward the baccalaureate degree, then transcripts from those institutions must also be submitted. A minimum B average in undergraduate coursework is required (although we do allow that significant life experience well beyond the receipt of the college degree may compensate for a grade average that doesn't quite meet this threshold). Transcripts can be sent either through the postal service or via secure electronic delivery. In order to be considered official, transcripts and other documents must be sent directly from the institution attended .
Some institutions provide secure electronic delivery of transcripts. Such submissions may be made to email@example.com
Transcripts sent through the postal service should be addressed as follows:
2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
**Please do not have transcripts sent directly to the MLAS program.
**When filling out the online application, an unofficial copy of the transcript may be submitted, but an official copy must be submitted directly from the degree-granting institution to Vanderbilt at the electronic or postal address above.
3. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other Test scores are not required. In the online application, you may continue past this section. If you have GRE scores, feel free to enter them.
4. Two letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with you as a professional or as a student and who can speak to your qualifications are also required. If the application form requests three, you may enter Director Shaneyfelt's information for the third.
5. The Statement of Purpose is a 250-word essay that (1) describes your intellectual interests; (2) addresses how you would add to the MLAS classroom experience; and (3) speaks to your expectations of the program.
6. The final step of the application process is an optional interview with the MLAS Director, Dr. Sheri Shaneyfelt. After reviewing your application, Dr. Shaneyfelt will get in touch with you to schedule an interview if desired or required.