Welcome to the College of Arts & Science!
You’re about to embark on a journey of exploration and discovery that will prepare you to tackle society’s biggest challenges, find success in our rapidly changing economy, and make a positive impact on our world. In the College of Arts & Science, you will discover your passions, dive deep into your interests, forge unexpected connections across disciplines, and learn skills and capacities that will serve you for life.
We’re so glad you’ve decided to join us in A&S. We are excited to be on this journey with you.
CASPAR (PRE-MAJOR ADVISING)
CASPAR (College of Arts and Science Pre-major Academic Advising Resource) is our dedicated advising program for all A&S students for their first two years. Your dedicated CASPAR adviser will work with you from before you arrive at Vanderbilt until you declare your major, at which point you will have a faculty adviser in the department of your major.
Your dedicated CASPAR adviser will reach out to you the summer before you arrive with important information about registering for classes and scheduling your course load, and to answer any of your academic questions. Learn more about CASPAR and review the Overview of AXLE & CASPAR.
AXLE (CORE CURRICULUM)
AXLE (Achieving eXcellence in Liberal Education) is the college’s core curriculum. It’s designed to help you explore our unique breadth of opportunities across the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, to discover what you’re passionate about, and to learn fundamental capacities that will serve you for life. Learn more about AXLE and review the Overview of AXLE & CASPAR.
Return to top
Please take special note of these dates for the summer before you arrive and the beginning of your first semester. There will be an advising hold on your account that prevents you from registering for fall classes until you complete all advising requirements.
- Once you receive the email from the University Registrar, activate your VUNetID and Vanderbilt email address, set up DUO multi-factor authentication, and familiarize yourself with important software, particularly Brightspace, YES, and Zoom (more details).
- Your individual adviser will email you to introduce him/herself, explain the advising process, provide instructions on completing the required Brightspace module, and provide your assigned registration window. (Please note that this window cannot be changed.)
- Complete the assigned Brightspace module (link will be provided by your CASPAR adviser).
- Either (1) submit your advising form on the CASPAR website (link forthcoming) OR (2) meet with your adviser remotely (make an appointment online).
- Check your YES landing page for any holds on your account and contact the appropriate office to have them removed. You will be unable to register for classes if there are any holds on your account.
- Review the YES user guides to prepare for the technical aspects of registration.
- June 5-9: Week 1 registration window
- June 12-16: Week 2 registration window
- June 19-23: Week 3 registration window
- Order any test scores (AP/IB or SAT/ACT) you would like to be included in your record (more details).
- Complete the transfer process for any pre-freshman credit completed prior to matriculation (more details).
- July 19: Open Enrollment begins. You can make any necessary adjustments to your schedule, verify AP/IB test scores, and make adjustments to your class schedule as needed based on those scores. Any changes you make to your schedule during Open Enrollment (such as dropping a class) will not be reflected on your final transcript.
- August 14, 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Academic Orientation (via Zoom)
- August 15, 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Academic Orientation (via Zoom)
- August 21, 9:00 a.m.–10:30 a.m.: Welcome from the Dean event (Langford Auditorium)
- August 23: Fall classes begin
- September 5: Open Enrollment closes. Be sure to finalize your course schedule before this date.
Every August, new students are required to attend the A&S Academic Orientation, where you will learn important academic information that will help you succeed in college.
View the recording from the August 2023 Orientation.
Below are several academic resources that may be useful during your time in the College of Arts and Science. If you need additional information or have other questions, please contact your CASPAR adviser.
CASPAR (Pre-major advising) Office, College of Arts and Science
Location: 225 Ingram Commons
Phone: (615) 343-3148
Office of Undergraduate Education, College of Arts and Science
Location: 350 Buttrick Hall
Phone: (615) 322-2844
Vanderbilt University Registrar
Location: 110 Baker Building
Phone: (615) 322-7701