Undergraduate Alumnae and Alumni
Sociology majors and environmental sociology majors often obtain graduate education, but many work for a few years after graduating and some go directly into careers without additional graduate education. This list provides examples from recent graduating classes.
Examples from the Class of 2018:
- Mirah Alix (Sociology). Category specialist and buyer at Walmart.com.
- Larry Austin (Sociology). Basketball player at Central Michigan University.
- Emily Bland (Sociology). Manager of first impressions at CitiStaffing.
- Katherine Chaikovsky (Sociology). Middle-school ESL instructor for Teach for America.
- Daniel Clark (Sociology). Working at Gates Millennium Scholars.
- Courtney Clayton (Sociology). Event productions assistant at Sparks.
- Cristah Artrip (Sociology). Commissioned as an officer with the U.S. Army and is in the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
- Mary Dachille (Sociology). Pursuing a masters in medicine, health, and society at Vanderbilt.
- Benjamin Dong (Sociology). Career analyst at Mercer.
- Emily Flatt (Sociology). Operations at Second Harvard Food Bank of Metrolina.
- Brittanie Giroux (Environmental Sociology). Junior associate at Lerhman Gerson Group
- Yalun Feng (Environmental Sociology). Pursuing a master’s in environmental management at Yale.
- Katie Gao (Environmental Sociology). Pursuing a master’s in public health at Columbia.
- Willie Herndon (Sociology). Cornerback for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Jack Lindenman (Environmental Sociology). Category specialist at Jet.com.
- Lachanda Reid (Sociology). Cornell Law School.
- Juliette Singerella (Sociology). Georgetown Law School.
- Emmanuel Smith (Environmental Sociology). Linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons.
- Ajike Sumter (Sociology). Intern in Public Affairs and Corporate Social Responsibility at Horizon Pharma.
- Maria Swebilius (Environmental Sociology). Business system analyst at Epsilon.
- Alexandra Wolfe (Sociology). Bookseller at Book Culture.
Examples from the Class of 2017:
- Brandi Collins (Environmental Sociology). Category specialist, Walmart eCommerce.
- Jonathan Crites (Environmental Sociology). Lab assistant, Center for Toxicology, University of Utah.
- Melissa De La Torre (Sociology). Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State.
- Grace Gonzalez (Sociology). Digital and Social Marketing Strategist, 23 Restaurant Services.
- Ryan Johnson (Sociology). Youth baseball mentor and coach.
- Courtney Krieghauser (Sociology). Advisory associate at People and Change Consulting.
- Nicole LaBelle (Sociology). University of Chicago Law School.
- Meredith Matlin (Sociology). Master’s in medicine, health, and society at Vanderbilt.
- Madison Renner (Environmental Sociology). PhD in sociology TBA.
- Joseph Roso (Sociology). PhD in sociology at Duke University.
- Emily Torres (Sociology). Casting production assistant, Lucky 8 TV.
- Eric Schulman (Sociology). Executive Assistant, APA Agency, Los Angeles.
- Darrius Sims (Sociology). Defensive back, Tennessee Titans.
- Bradley Wheaton (Sociology): Sales intern at Flow Hub, a tech firm in Denver.
- Daier Yuan (Sociology): Master’s in human-computer interaction at Georgia Institute of Technology
The following is a partial list of students from previous classes.
Examples from the Class of 2016:
- Karlia Nicole Brown (Sociology). PhD student in sociology at Northwestern.
- Danielle Chandler (Sociology). Client advocacy intern, Tennessee Justice Center.
- Beatrice Cochran (Sociology). Process engineer, HCA IT&S.
- Victoria Crenshaw (Sociology and Environmental – Sustainability Studies). Cultiva Farm management intern.
- Asheeka Desai (Sociology). UCLA Law School.
- Vivan Liang Huaren (Sociology). Master’s degree in the anthropology and sociology of development at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, followed by internship at the United Nations in Migration Management.
- Alexandra Keiser (Sociology). Investment associate at Cambridge Associates.
- Annaliese Danckers (Environmental Sociology). Coordinator, McDowell Farm School.
- Barrett Gouger (Sociology). Los Angeles Chargers.
- Harding Harper (Sociology). MBA Clark Atlanta University, market analyst at JLL.
- Kevin McCoy (Sociology). Case manager, Gracepoint.
- Jordan McNary (Sociology). University of Arkansas Law School.
- Breana Moore (Sociology). Administrative associate, BrioPower.
- Katani Ostine-Franklin (Sociology). Think tank associate, PMK/BNC.
- Zoe Radner (Sociology). Media Planner, Havas Media Group.
- Lucy Rahner (Sociology). Heart’s Home nonprofit.
- Sarah Sams (Sociology). Master of science in earth sciences at Purdue.
- Jacqueline Scott (Sociology). Vanderbilt Law School.
- Isabelle Shain (Sociology). Coach for mock trial cases, University of Washington.
- Ashley Shan (Sociology). Duke Law School.
- Michelle Warren (Sociology). Recruiter at Korn Ferry Futurestep.
- Laura Williamson (Sociology). Master’s degree at the New England Conservatory of Music.
Examples from the Class of 2015:
- Brittanie Barbero. Master’s of education at Vanderbilt.
- Nicole Chanin. Litigation coordinator at Barrett, Johnston, Martin, and Garrison.
- Yoon So Chung planned on going to law school.
- Daniel Craig. Litigation coordinator at Barrett, Johnston, Martin, and Garrison.
- Shae Earl, Teacher, Cambridge Academy Preschool.
- Datoyne Dagogo-Jack. Master’s degree in business at Imperial College in London, then became the founder of the nonprofit Smile Nigeria Hope Organization.
- Juila DeJesus. Category specialist, Walmart eCommerce.
- Tyler Gerdes. Information technology, Jefferson Center for Mental Health.
- Chloe Hayes. Accelerator Business Institute at Vanderbilt, then became an assurance associate at PwC.
- Akailah Jenkins. Master’s degree at Vanderbilt, then became an English teacher at Capital City Charter Schools.
- Sicheng Ma. Graduate school in chemistry, Washington University in St. Louis.
- Sarah McClenahan. Litigation coordinator at a law firm in Nashville.
- Jasmine Olivier. Fulbright in France followed by PhD in sociology at Harvard.
- Kathryn Reddic. Regional admissions representative, University of California at Santa Cruz.
- Jonas Rosen. Master’s in social work, University of Maryland.
- Elizabeth Saffold. Registration, Monroe Children’s Hospital, Vanderbilt.
- Logan Wilke. Analyst, Restaurant Brands International.
- Adria Zern. Peace Corps in Belize followed by master’s in public health at Columbia University.
Examples from the Class of 2014:
- Allyson Conley. Sales associate, Wesco Distribution.
- Sarah Catherine Billups. PhD in sociology at the University of Minnesota.
- Kaila Brown. Master’s in higher education at the University of Pennsylvania, senior admissions counselor at Vanderbilt.
- Yun Cha. PhD in sociology at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Hasan Clayton. Master’s of education, Vanderbilt, and english teacher in Nashville.
- Victoria Clodfelter. Publishing assistant at East Nashvillian, then account executive at Postmates.
- Zipporah Freeman: De Paul University College of Law
- Lauren Langston. Master’s in social work at the University of Texas, behavioral health specialist at Bluebonnet Trails Community Services.
- Erin Keels. Master’s in strategic public relations at the University of Southern California, associate digital strategist at 87AM.
- Aaron Lowe. Senior recruitment specialist, Federal Express.
- Katie Marrero. Master’s in social foundations of health at Vanderbilt, medical school at St. George’s University.
- Evan McCants-Goldman: NYU Law School.
- Michael O’Connor. Returned to Oklahoma to run the street paper he started. He plans later to pursue a PhD in sociology or community development.
- Chelseay Parks. Teach for America, followed by graduate education in law or public policy.
- Megan Pike. Executive team leader in human resources at Target, then became the Talent Human Resources Manager at Medix.
- Allison Roberts. PhD in sociology at Emory University.
- Jalisia Taylor-Singleton. Master’s in urban educational policy, Brown University.
- Kate Trotter. Taught English in Spain through CIEE, then became the communication and graphics coordinator at Music City Center.
- Charity Wood: Georgia State College of Law.
Examples from the Class of 2013:
- Aynalem Ameha. Medical School, University of Tennessee.
- Therese Barry. SEO Strategist at Resolution Media.
- Adam Beiber, Marketing Coordinator, Deborah Weinstock DPM.
- Mariel Behnke. Industry analyst, Freedonia Group.
- Brooke Burton. Teach for America, then content manager at Albert.io.
- Murphy Byrne. Multimedial photographer and videographer, Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board.
- Marianne DeAngel. Project manager/implementation consultant for Epic Systems, a healthcare software company, then project manager at Conversable.
- Amanda (Milster) Dewey. Worked as the special projects coordinator at the Endangered Species Coalition, then entered the PhD program in Sociology at U. Maryland
- Hannah Dimmitt. M.S. in child life, then child life specialist at Tulane Medical Center.
- Paige Diner. Teach for America followed by a master’s in social work at Columbia University, associate at Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund.
- Casey Hayward. Cornerback, Los Angeles Chargers.
- Raven McKinnie. Master’s in nutrition and exercise science at Lipscomb University.
- Amanda (Milster) Dewey. PhD in sociology at the University of Maryland.
- Chantella Mitchell. Masters of social work at Columbia University, senior analyst at New York City Office of Management and Budget.
- Molly Morley. Masters in public policy at George Washington University; monitoring, evaluation, and reporting manager at Creative Associates International.
- Emily Natoli. Teach for America, master’s in education at Johns Hopkins University, literacy specialist at Yes Prep Public Schools.
- Allie O’Neil. Business development officer at World Learning.
- Perry Peguillan. Master’s in applied clinical informatics at Vanderbilt, analytics manager at Vanderbilt.
- Briana Perry. Master’s of education at Vanderbilt, co-director of Healthy and Free Tennessee.
- Hadley Rodden. Master’s in leadership and organizational performance at Vanderbilt, project manager at Lori Margolis Interiors.
- Remingio Silva II. Account manager, digital intelligence at Wpromote.
- Candace Smith. Digital account coordinator, RentPath
- Gabrielle Smith. Master’s in sports psychology at the University of Denver, metrics analyst at Anthem.
- Kristen Sueing. Teach for America and master’s in education at Lipscomb, team leader and literacy instructor at Kipp Academy.
- Kristen Webb. Master’s in leadership and organizational performance at Vanderbilt, business consultant at InfoWorks.
- Sara Zavaleta. Master’s in Latin American studies at the University of Texas, founder of Sara Zavaleta Photography.
Examples from the Class of 2012:
- Lisa Branding. Masters of health services administration at the University of Michigan.
- Abigail Gravenhost. Research associate at Economists Incorporated (Washington, DC), a firm that does policy analysis, then became a business manager at Capital One.
- Jamie Hooker. Recruiter for Human Resources, Epic Systems, a health software company.
- Cecile Lauzan. Intern at the Carlyle Group with their corporate events team and later became an event planner at Turner Hill Club.
- Ethel Mickey. Ph.D. program in sociology at Northeastern University
- Laurie Nordland. School of Social Work, University of Michigan.
- Aurelia Patterson. Cecil Humphrey’s School of Law, University of Memphis
- April Philley. School of Law, University of Texas (class of 2015), and became an assistant attorney general.
- Jinsu Sohn. Master’s in human nutrition at Columbia University.
- Keisha White. Medical School, the University of Connecticut.
- James Whiteside. MFA program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with a Greensboro Graduate Scholar Award.
A Few Examples of Careers of Undergraduates from Previous Years:
Kendall (Cox) Park (BA, 2011) is a PhD student in sociology at Princeton.
Tara Kane (BA, 2009) worked for two years with Pittsburgh Health Corps, then became a wellness associate with AmeriCorps. She then became an outpatient therapist in Pennsyvlania.
Sadiki Etienne (BA, 2006) earned a master’s in public policy at the University of Southern California. He became a manager Dalberg Global Development Advisors in Dakar, Senegal office, Dalberg is a private consulting firm that advises corporations, financial institutions, NGOs and governments, specifically in emerging markets, in a variety of areas including access to finance, private sector development, strategy and performance, and global health. He launched Etienne Consulting in 2017.
Amy [Cooter] Faeder (BA, 2005) finished her PhD in sociology at the University of Michigan. With the generous support from a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, she conducted more than three years of fieldwork with the Michigan Militia, and she is writing about what the group can tell us about lower-middle class, white men’s understandings of nationalism, politics, race, and masculinity. She is currently a senior lecturer at Vanderbilt in the Sociology Department.
Zhubin Parang (BA, 2003) attended law school at the Georgetown University Law Center, then spent four years practicing commercial litigation in New York City. He then left the profession to pursue a writing career, and he then became a staff writer on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart.
Matt Doyle (BA, 1991) is a real estate attorney in Charlotte, NC, in his own law firm.