Skip to main content


Q: I’m thinking about declaring a MHS major/minor but I want to talk to an advisor first. Who can I talk to?

A: You may reach out to the Director of Advising, Courtney Peterson, to schedule a Zoom session.

Q: How and when do I declare a major/minor in Medicine, Health, and Society?

A: Students may declare a major or minor in MHS after their first year. Read instructions on how to declare your major or minor.

First-year students should work with their pre-major advisers and choose courses that satisfy AXLE requirements and count for MHS credit. MHS offers a First-Year Seminar (MHS 1111) and Commons Seminar (MHS 1001) each year.

Once you declare a major in MHS, you will be assigned an MHS adviser who can help you plan your course schedule. MHS hosts registration advising parties every fall and spring. Students may attend an advising party or meet individually with their MHS adviser to discuss course registration. To ensure that the Registrar’s Office processes your major declaration before registration, be sure to declare your major before the last day to withdraw from classes that semester.

Q: How do I change my MHS concentration?

A: To change your concentration, you will need to fill out the major declaration form. The first line should list your current concentration with the “drop” box checked, and the second line should list your new concentration with the “add” box checked. Send the completed form to your MHS adviser, who will sign both lines to indicate their approval. Your adviser will review your degree audit to make sure the change keeps you on track for graduation. You will then email the signed form to your school’s academic services office so they can update your degree audit accordingly.

Q: I see that there are open spots in an MHS class that I want to take. Why am I still on the waitlist?

A: Many MHS classes have reserves. Classes may be open only to MHS majors/minors or there may be reserves for cohorts of students from specific graduation years.

Q: Can I petition for a course not listed under the MHS approved courses to count for MHS credit?

A: Juniors and seniors may petition for a non-approved course to count for MHS credit using the Course Variance Request form. Students may have a maximum of two variances during their undergraduate careers.

Q: My degree audit looked fine last semester, but now there are errors. What can I do?

A: YES sometimes reallocates classes for students. To correct errors, please fill out the Audit Change Request form and send it to your adviser for approval. Your adviser will submit the form. Please allow a few days for the university to process the changes.

Q: I am enrolled in a disciplinary course/have taken a disciplinary course, but it isn’t showing up in my degree audit.

A: If you have already completed your elective and concentration requirements before enrolling in a disciplinary course, it may not be reflected in your degree audit. The same can be true when you have taken a disciplinary course. YES frequently substitutes newer courses for older ones. To correct errors, please fill out the Audit Change Request form and send it to your adviser for approval. Please allow a few days for the university to process the changes.

Q: Can students do independent study and internships in MHS?

A: Yes. Students may earn MHS credit for independent study, internships, and service learning projects. MHS 3850: Independent Study is a program of reading and/or research to be selected in consultation with an adviser. Internships and service learning combine practical training with academic research. Under faculty supervision, students gain experience in a broad range of public and private health-related agencies. Students interested in an independent study, service learning, or internships, should discuss the project with their MHS adviser during the registration period. Forms and project descriptions are due before the first day of class.

Q: Can I take an MHS class pass/fail?

A: Please review the A&S policy on taking classes pass/fail.

Q: I want to take a course over the summer at an institution in my hometown. Is this allowed? How do I get MHS credit for it?

A: All external courses must first be approved by the university’s External Education Unit. You can learn more about that process here. Once approved for credit at Vanderbilt, you may use the Course Variance Request form to petition the course to count for MHS credit. If the course is approved as MHS 2050: MHS No Equivalent, it will automatically count as an elective.

Q: What kind of careers do students with a degree in medicine, health, and society enter?

A: Read about the wide range of careers in which our alumni have succeeded and made an impact.

Q: How can I learn about MHS events, curriculum updates, and new opportunities?

A: All MHS majors and minors are added to the MHS student listserv. The department sends out a weekly newsletter with updates and opportunities for students. Students who have not declared a major or minor in MHS can check our website, Facebook, and Twitter for news and updates.

Q: How do I set up time to meet with a professor?

A: Professors are available to meet during their office hours. Check the individual faculty member’s bio page to schedule a time to meet.