Vanderbilt University’s Department of Gender and Sexuality Studies offers an interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate Program. The Certificate Program provides graduate students across campus with access to interdisciplinary scholarship in the robust field of gender studies; supplies them with a valuable professional credential; and strengthens their ability to compete for jobs as well as national fellowships and postdoctoral awards.
Courses taken at Vanderbilt University prior to admission to the Department may be counted toward the Certificate requirements with the approval of the Chair. Any student enrolled in a graduate program at Vanderbilt University is eligible to apply for the Certificate Program in Gender and Sexuality Studies. Acceptance to the program requires a minimum GPA of 3.3, satisfactory performance of B+ or better in Gender and Sexuality Studies 8301, and the approval of both the student’s advisor and the Chair of the Department Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- GSS 8301 Gender and Sexuality: Feminist Approaches. Interdisciplinary introduction to the major debates, theoretical terms, and research methods in feminist, gender, sexuality, and queer studies.
- GSS 8302 Gender and Pedagogy. Feminist theories of teaching and learning; gender and diversity in the classroom; critical pedagogy.
- 3 additional graduate-level courses on gender, and/or sexuality, appropriate to the student’s program of study. Courses must be approved for credit and include at least one course outside the student’s area. One course may be satisfied through an independent study with a faculty member affiliated with the Department of Gender and Sexuality Studies, with the approval of the Chair of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- A paper submitted to Gender and Sexuality Studies for evaluation. The paper must demonstrate the application of a gender studies methodology to research, teaching, or fieldwork.
How to apply:
- Download and complete the Declaration of Intent form.
- Contact GSS to arrange a meeting with the Chair.
- If you have completed the certificate requirements, fill out the application form.