The Communication Studies Department sponsors one-credit-hour interdisciplinary internships through the College of Arts & Science (INDS 3880 and INDS 3884).
CMST students have completed internships in a variety of areas: political campaigning, media consulting, broadcast journalism, advertising, public relations, radio and television programming, and film production. To receive academic credit for an internship, students are required to write a paper about their internship experience.
Please note: Professor Courtney Travers, internship coordinator for CMST, will only advise internships for students who have declared a CMST major or minor.
Those interested in completing an interdisciplinary internship should first contact Dean Yollette Jones in the Arts & Science Dean’s Office.
Students will then need to email Professor Courtney Travers to advise the internship.
- Information on Interdisciplinary Internships from the Undergraduate Catalog
- Information on Summer Internship Subsidies from the Career Center
Current Internship Opportunities
(visit the Career Center for additional opportunities)
Communications Intern, Metropolitan Nashville Davidson County Public Defender’s Office
Please send resume and cover letter to Dr. Candis White, email@example.com; Subject line: Internship Application (Communications).
Entry-level recruiters, StaffSource (Nashville)
Contact: Emily Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Publicity Intern, 117Entertainment Group
Contact: Heather Trotter, email@example.com
• Drafting/sending basic marketing and public relations materials including press releases, media alerts, tour press, etc.
• Assist with media activities (photo shoots, video shoots, interviews and press tours) and arrangements
• Administrative duties such as filing, copying, phone duties and running errands
• Other similar tasks/assignments as needed
Experience with social media, Google Drive, Dropbox, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, MailChimp (email marketing) and Cision (database) a plus
Paid Journalism Internship, Washington DC
Please see the attached flyer for more information. With any questions, please contact Kelleigh Huber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2019: May 27 – August 16
Deadline to apply: March 3, 2019
How to Apply:
Step 1: Fill out our online application. https://njc.yaf.org/apply/
Step 2: Upon completing the online application, you will be redirected to a document upload page: https://njc.yaf.org/documents/. Please upload:
* Cover letter
* A current resume
* 2-3 writing samples (published news clips are preferred)
* Transcript (official or unofficial)