Ballet Folklórico: An Introduction (Mexico)
Folkloric dance, like the English term “folk dance”, means dances of the people. This type of dance reflects the traditions, cultures and beliefs of people in a particular region. Folkloric dance expresses the life and spirit of a people through its movement and music. It is both historical and current, preserving tradition yet shifting with the current times.
This teacher packet includes:
- background information for Ballet Folklorico
- History of Mexican dance, including: ritual dance, Conquest and Spanish Influence, Dance and Christianity, the combining of cultures
- The Evolution of dance and its modern form
- Timeline of Mexican History
- Additional information about Mexico "At a Glance"
- Links to Lesson Plans and Informational Websites