Admissions Requirements & Process
Applicants to the Graduate Program in Economic Development (GPED) must meet the requirements for admission to the Vanderbilt University Graduate School.
To apply to the MA program in Economic Development, please do so via the Graduate School’s online application system:
- The introductory page is here: http://gradschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/index.php
- The application link is here: https://apply.vanderbilt.edu/apply/
- For technical application questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need the following to complete your GPED application:
- Unofficial copy of transcripts from prior undergraduate and graduate work (official final transcripts are required only after an offer of admission is made and accepted)*
- GRE scores.** You may self-report scores on your application; if you are admitted, official scores must be submitted before enrollment.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants** (this requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a degree from an English-speaking institution)
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation (academic references preferred)
- Optional: résumé or CV (following these instructions: https://gradschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/faqs.php)
* Official transcripts can be sent either via the postal service or via secure electronic delivery. In order to be considered official, transcripts and other documents must come directly from the institution attended. Some institutions provide secure electronic delivery of transcripts. These submissions may be made to email@example.com. Transcripts sent via the postal service should be addressed to Vanderbilt’s Center for Data Management.
** The Vanderbilt institutional code for TOEFL and GRE is 1871. IELTS scores should be sent to Vanderbilt through your testing center; scores should be sent electronically (refer to this information). Vanderbilt is registered to receive electronic scores, for which you can provide the postal address listed here. Please do not send your scores to the GPED.
Students can start the GPED program in the Fall semester only. The deadline for submitting an application is February 15; all required application documents must be received by this date to be considered for admission. After an admissions committee reviews all applications, the Graduate School communicates admission decisions by the end of March (via the online application portal). Students must accept or decline admission offers by April 15.
Please note that a nonrefundable $250 matriculation deposit is required if you choose to enroll in the GPED. If you are admitted and accept the admission offer, you will have two weeks from the date of acceptance to pay the deposit, which will then be credited to your student account.
The GPED allows admitted students to defer their admission for one year to the following Fall semester. After the period of one year, applicants need to reapply.
For further details about the program, please refer to our frequently asked questions .