The Honors Program in American studies offers excelling students a more intensive concentration within their major field. Exceptional achievement on the thesis will earn high honors.
The Honors Program is available to qualifying students in March of their junior year. For information about the Honors Program, reach out to Director of Undergraduate Studies Gabriel Torres.
- Completion of the requirements of the major
- A 3.25 cumulative grade point average
- A 3.5 cumulative grade point average in American studies coursework
- Six hours in the fall and spring semesters of the senior year in AMER 4998/4999 devoted to a major research project leading to an honors thesis. 4999 counts as the Senior Project (4960) and 4998 counts as elective credit for the requirements of the major.
- An honors thesis to be completed by the spring of the senior year
- Successful completion of an oral examination focusing on the topic of the thesis