Graduate Certificate in American Studies
Vanderbilt’s Program in American Studies offers an interdisciplinary graduate certificate designed to complement students’ disciplinary training, expose them to larger interdisciplinary traditions and academic literature, and enhance their professional careers.
Open to any student enrolled in graduate study at Vanderbilt University, the certificate offers a structured introduction to the questions and methods of American studies.
Students who pursue the graduate certificate will gain:
- The opportunity to learn from and research with AMER-affiliated faculty from across the university
- Learning, connections, and collaboration with students from departments across campus
- Valuable credentials that strengthen their ability to compete for jobs
Any student enrolled in a graduate program at Vanderbilt University is eligible to apply for the American Studies Certificate Program.
Acceptance to the program requires the approval of both the graduate director of the student’s home department and the director of the Program in American Studies.
Students must submit:
- An Intent to Enroll form;
- A one-page rationale for their course of study; and
- A plan of study focused on a specific theme.
For more information, contact Paul Stob, Director of American Studies.