CSET majors can learn about internship opportunities in a number of ways.
Career Center Contact: CSET majors can email Cathy Weisbrodt, Associate Director, Science Careers and Healthy Professions Advising at the Career Center for the latest opportunities. New opportunities are updated continuously and if you have a specific request, Cathy is happy to help identify internship opportunities for you.
Another option is to visit https://www.vanderbilt.edu/career/ . For internships, students can click on the link https://www.vanderbilt.edu//career/career-exploration/internships/ to learn about on-campus recruiting activities, interning abroad, and internship subsidies.
DoreWays: Students can also access DoreWays online or download the mobile app.
Some things you can do using DoreWays include:
- Search for internship and job opportunities in different industries.
- Experience the hiring process by applying and interviewing on-campus with employers.
- Sign up for professional development workshops led by alumni or employers that provide insight into the workplace and skills needed to be competitive.
- Search for Vandy In Career Community events, Career Fairs, and Information Sessions which are all offered on-campus.
- Access Center-provided resources through the Resource Library.
The Heidi Hall Internship for Science Communication:
This opportunity is available exclusively for CSET majors. The Heidi Hall Internship for Science Communications, named in honor of former Division of Communications staff member and journalist Heidi Hall. Hall, will provide Vanderbilt students with the opportunity to advance their research, storytelling and communications skills while contributing to the university’s mission as a premier academic research institution. Working within the Office of Strategic Communications, this internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications—including planning, content creation, social media, video production and media relations—in a real-world setting. Interns can expect to gain experience writing for various digital and social media channels and will leave with published writing samples for their portfolios.
This internship is open EXCLUSIVELY to rising juniors and seniors majoring in Communication of Science and Technology at Vanderbilt University. NOTE: Selected students may not concurrently intern and work for any Vanderbilt Student Communications organization/publication.
Experience and Skills:
- Excellent interview, research, writing and problem-solving skills.
- Fluency with social media and web content.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and collaborate with others to generate and implement ideas.
- Demonstrated understanding of the university’s mission, values, goals and priorities.
- Demonstrated interest in science, engineering, technology or similar fields.
One intern will be selected per semester for academic year 2020-2021. Intern candidates apply in the spring for internships for the following academic year. Please indicate in your letter of application whether you are applying for Fall 2020, Spring 2021, or either semester.
3 hours of course credit (CSET 3880)
- Please submit the following to CSET Program Manager Shellie Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Letter of application detailing your background, qualifications, and interest (up to 1,000 words). Should include description of relevant coursework in CSET.
- Resume including contact information for two Vanderbilt references
- One Writing sample
- One additional sample: Writing, Video, Podcast, Blog, etc.
Samples may be from a class, blogpost, news article, etc.
- Finalists are notified by the Division of Strategic Communications and scheduled for interviews.
- If you are selected as a finalist for an interview with Vanderbilt University Division of Strategic Communications, you will need to submit samples for review.
- Recipients of the internships will be notified by the Division of Strategic Communications.