Susan Ford Wiltshire Essay Prize
The Women’s and Gender Studies Program gives two awards each spring—one for the best undergraduate essay and one for the best graduate essay. The submitted essays must be on a topic concerning gender, race, ethnicity, class, and/or sexuality. They must have been written during the previous calendar year (spring, summer, or fall 2016).
The competition is open to students in all schools and colleges of the University, including graduating seniors.
- The essay can be written for any university course or requirement.
- It can use any methodology or approach.
- It must be prose, not poetry.
- Undergraduate submissions should be 8–10 pages.
- Graduate submissions should be 20–25 pages.
- We will not accept essays that have been previously published or considered for publication.
- We will not accept essays that are pending grades.
- One submission per person!
Essays should be submitted electronically to Barbara Kaeser (email@example.com) with the subject line “Wiltshire Prize Submission 2016” by 3:00 P.M. on Friday March 24, 2017.
To submit an essay:
Download the essay contest application form. Include the cover sheet with your essay. Do not include your name on headers or footers within the essay. If you have questions, please contact Barbara Kaeser.
Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
- Clarity of Analysis
- Quality of Writing