Portuguese Language Program
Minor in Portuguese
The minor in Portuguese consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours. The specific requirements are as follows:
- Portuguese 2203 (Intermediate Portuguese; a more advanced language course may be substituted)
- One of the following two courses: Portuguese 3301 (Portuguese Composition and Conversation) or Portuguese 3302 (Brazilian Pop Culture)
- Portuguese 3303 (Introduction to Luso-Brazilian Literature)
- At least one of the following two courses: Portuguese 4420 (Brazilian Literature through the Nineteenth Century) or Portuguese 4425 (Modern Brazilian Literature)
- At least 3 additional credit hours selected from among the following courses (or a graduate course numbered 7000-9520 for qualified seniors): Portuguese 4350 (Brazilian Culture through Native Material), 4420 (Brazilian Literature through the Nineteenth Century), 4425 (Modern Brazilian Literature), 3892 (Special Topics in Portuguese Language, Literature, and Civilization)
Intensive Elementary Portuguese. Accelerated introduction to reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Emphasis on practical usage. Open to students with prior study of another Romance language or by permission of instructor.
Intermediate Portuguese. Review of Portuguese grammar with emphasis on conversation, composition, and reading of modern Portuguese literary texts. Prerequisite: 1103 or equivalent.
Techniques of expository writing. Focus on vocabulary, grammar, and rhetoric. Prerequisite: 2203.