Apply to the Graduate Program
Application for the Ph.D. Program
Prospective applicants can find general information including the current Graduate School catalog, deadlines, and special requirements for international applicants at the Graduate School homepage. The deadline for application for the Fall semester is December 15 of the previous academic year. Application forms must be filled out online.
General Admissions Requirements Overview
Applicants are expected to have a B.A. or an M.A. in an appropriate field and have high proficiency in reading, writing and speaking of Spanish (and/or Portuguese in the case of the combined Ph.D. program) as well as in English. In accordance with the Graduate School’s requirements, prospective students must be prepared to submit the following documents:
- Statement of Academic Purpose
- 3 letters of recommendation by faculty members (up to five letters may be submitted)
- Transcripts for all secondary institutions attended uploaded to the application (These may be unofficial on initial application, but official transcripts will be necessary for formal admission.)
- GRE scores (no older than 5 years) GRE codes: Vanderbilt 1871; Spanish 2608
- TOEFL scores: All international students whose native language is not English and whose undergraduate degree is from an institution in a country whose official language is not English must submit scores of the test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
In addition, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese requires:
- Writing sample in Spanish (or Portuguese for the combined Ph.D.)
For more information on the program or for questions about applying, do not hesitate to contact Professor José Cárdenas, Director of Graduate Studies. You may contact him by email email@example.com or schedule a phone appointment 615-322-6856.