- B.E.P. (Cornell, 1961)
- M.A. (Harvard, 1962)
- Ph.D. (Harvard, 1965)
- Atomic and molecular physics
- Lasers and light sources
- Electron beams
- High-brightness electron beams
- Tabletop Cherenkov and Smith-Purcell FELs
- Compton backscatter x-ray sources and FELs
- P227a Intermediste Classical Mechanics
- P121b Principles of Physics
- 1988-present : Professor of Physics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 1965-70: Senior Research Staff Scientist, Avco Everett Research Laboratory, Everett, MA
- 1970-71: NATO Postdoctoral Fellow, Kamerlingh-Onnes Laboratory, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 1971-76: Senior Research Staff Scientist, Avco Everett Research Laboratory, Everett, MA
- 1976-87: Program Manager, Free-Electron Laser, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
- 1987-88: Sabbatical Leave, Quantum Institute/University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- 1988: Visiting Scientist, Department of Nuclear Physics, University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- 1988-95: Director of the Free-Electron Laser Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Tau Beta Pi Association
- American Physical Society (Fellow)
- Sigma Xi
- 1995 - William Streifer Award for Scientific Achievement (IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society)
- 1996 - Free-Electron Laser Prize (18th International Conference on Free-Electron Lasers, Rome)
- Heather Andrews
- Jonathan Jarvis
- Robert Jefferson
- "Combination Free Electron Laser and Gaseous Laser," C. A. Brau, S. D. Rockwood, and W. E. Stein, February 19, 1980.
- "Microwave Accelerator e-Beam Pumped Laser," C. A. Brau, W. E. Stein, and S. D. Rockwood, March 11, 1980.
- "RF Feedback Free-Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson, and T. J. Boyd, September 1, 1981.
- "Catalac Free Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson, and T. J. Boyd, April 6, 1981.
- "Circular Free Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, N. A. Kurnit, and R. K. Cooper, April 10, 1984.
- "Free Electron Laser Using RF Coupled Accelerating and Decelerating Structures," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson, and T. J. Boyd October 23, 1984.