Previous English Program (Available only to Majors who declared before Fall 2018)
If you declared your English major before Fall 2018, you may continue your major under the previous program requirements (see below). If you would like to switch to the new requirements, fill out this form (no signature required except your own) and drop it in Evana Ahsan's box in the English Department. If you have questions, please email Lynn Enterline (the Director of Undergraduate Studies) or Elizabeth Covington.
The previous English curriculum offers three distinct programs that allow students to individualize their studies while acquiring the breadth of knowledge and skills of the traditional English major.
Program I Literary Studies
(30 credit hours)
Students pursue a broad range of interests through a flexible approach to the study of literature. This program requires 30 total credit hours including:
Students develop their creative writing while acquiring an overview of English literature. This program requires 30 total credit hours including:
To graduate with Honors in English, students must:
1. Complete all the requirements of the English major
2. Take at least 6 credit hours in Honors seminars (an appropriate graduate seminar or seminar from a study-abroad program may be substituted for one Honors seminar).
3. Maintain at least a 3.4 GPA overall and 3.6 in the Major.
4. Be admitted to the Honors Program in spring of junior year (applications due on April 3, 2019) and take 4998 in fall of senior year.
5. Write a thesis (4999) and pass an oral examination about its subject in the spring of senior year. For secondary education double majors, EDUC 9770 can be substituted for 4999 with the consent of the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
To comply with all requirements, every Honors student will complete 33 hours of English. Exceptional achievement on the thesis will earn highest honors.
Majors who wish to apply to the Honors Program must be within 6 credit hours of completing all AXLE requirements and must have made reasonable progress toward the major. Applications are due on April 3, 2019 for majors graduating in Spring 2020.
Additional information may be obtained from Mark Schoenfield, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, or your advisor.
The Honors sections are seminars open to all students who have completed their sophomore AXLE requirements and have earned at least a 3.4 GPA overall. Students are encouraged to enroll in honors sections prior to applying to the Honors Program.
Minor in English