NEW English Program, Effective Fall 2018
Open to all current Majors/Minors, required for new Majors/Minors
Are you currently an English major (declared before Fall 2018) and want to switch to the new requirements (in effect Fall 2018)? Just print this form or pick one up in Benson Hall 334. The form allows you to re-declare your new major. Fill it out and bring it to Benson Hall 334.
Already declared and want to stay with your original program? No need to do anything. Previous program requirements here.
The Department of English offers three distinct concentrations that allow students to individualize their studies while acquiring the breadth of knowledge and skills of the traditional English major.
Designed to work as either a single or double major, the curriculum provides courses in British and American literature, in Anglophone literature from across the world, in literary theory, and in expository as well as creative writing. These diverse courses reflect the interests of students and faculty as well as the expanding areas of English literary study.
Students pursue a broad range of interests through a flexible approach to the study of literature. This program requires 30 total credit hours including:
Students develop their creative writing while acquiring an overview of English literature. This program requires 30 total credit hours including:
Minor in Literary Studies
At least 18 credit hours of course work in English is required for an English minor. These courses must include 3 credit hours in History (literature before 1800) and 3 credit hours in Diverse Perspectives (Ethnic American or Anglophone Literature).
Minor in Creative Writing
At least 18 credit hours of course work in English are required. These courses must include at least three creative writing workshops (9 credits hours) in any genre (3210, 3220, 3230, 3240, 3250, or 3260).
In addition, suitable sections of 3746, 3890, 3890W, 3892, 3892W, 3894, 3894W, 3898, 3898W, 4998, 4999, and other courses may fulfill the categories listed above; please consult your adviser as well as the detailed departmental course descriptions available each semester. Click here for Fall 2018.
To graduate with Honors in English, students must:
1. Complete all the requirements of the English major.
2. Take at least 6 credit hours in Honors sections (an appropriate graduate seminar or seminar from a study-abroad program may be substituted for one Honors seminar).
3. Maintain at least a 3.4 GPA overall and 3.6 in the Major.
4. Be admitted to the Honors Program in spring of junior year and take 4998 in fall of senior year.
5. Write a thesis (4999) and pass an oral examination about its subject in the spring of senior year. For secondary education double majors, EDUC 9770 can be substituted for 4999 with the consent of the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
To comply with all requirements, every Honors student will complete 33 hours of English. Exceptional achievement on the thesis will earn highest honors. Majors who wish to apply to the Honors Program must be within 6 credit hours of completing all AXLE requirements and must have made reasonable progress toward the major. Applications are accepted in April of the junior year.
- ENGL 3720 Literature, Science, and Technology: The History of Digital versus Indexical - TR 9:30 - 10:50
Spring 2019 (to be announced soon)