FLAS Academic Year Fellowships
The Department of Education has designated CLAS as one of its Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Programs. FLAS funding supports the academic year study of Portuguese, K’iche’ Mayan, or Haitian Creole at Vanderbilt. The FLAS program is intended to create a pool of advanced language learners with relevant area studies knowledge. FLAS fellowships are for one year only, although recipients can reapply for the next year’s competition.
A student is eligible to apply for a FLAS fellowship if the student is:
- Is a citizen of or national of the United States; or
- Is a permanent resident of the United States;
- Is accepted for enrollment or is enrolled in an institution receiving an allocation of fellowships; and
- In a program that combines modern foreign language training with area or international studies; or
- Shows potential for high academic achievement based on such indices as grade point average, class ranking, or similar measures that the institution may determine;
- Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training in a language for which the institution has developed or is developing performance-based instruction
Please direct any questions to CLAS Executive Director Avery Dickins de Girón.
Application is due by January 25, 2021.
See Student Summer Awards for information on Summer FLAS Fellowships.