Procedures to Request Funds from CLAS
CLAS allocates funding each semester to support visiting speakers and other events related to Latin America at Vanderbilt organized by departments and schools. Submit requests via email to the CLAS director. Funds are limited; the earlier an email proposal is submitted, the more likely it will be funded.
- Once an event is approved for CLAS funding, we ask that you put the visiting speaker in touch with the Administrator in your Department to coordinate airfare, hotel, and payment of honoraria (if applicable).
- For international travel, BEFORE PURCHASING AIRFARE, a travel request must be submitted to the Department of Education through the CLAS Administrative Assistant. Travel must be on US carriers only. To process this request send Alma Paz-Sanmiguel the following information: dates of travel and the desired itinerary (including specific airlines and flights), cost of lodging and airfare, and reason for traveling (e.g. giving a talk, including name of the talk and other details) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All travel has to be booked through Vanderbilt’s Concur system by the Administrator in your department; for hotel, CLAS can pay a maximum of the Federal Per Diem Rate of $132 + taxes. For any questions contact: Alma Paz-Sanmiguel.
- Individuals without US social security numbers who receive honoraria or payment for services are likely liable to pay US taxes and must fill out a Business Visitor Questionnaire (BVQ) here. Tax is dependent on the country of citizenship; please contact email@example.com (Vanderbilt’s International Tax Office) for assistance. This does not apply for payments to individuals performing services outside of the United States.
- Your department should create an itinerary for your visitor that should include the following:
- CLAS Logo and Your Department’s Logo.
- Arrival information: flight number, arrival time; ________ will pick you up at BNA (specify location).
- Hotel address, telephone number, and confirmation number.
- Schedule of events: make sure all transportation (or walking) to/from campus and other events is clearly defined (ideally with cell phone contacts of individuals transporting the visitor)
- Departure information: flight number, departure time; Person that will take visitor to BNA with time of pick up.
- Contact information: CLAS phone number; relevant cell phone numbers and specially visitor’s cell phone number.
- CLAS would like a copy of the itinerary before the Visitor’s arrival.
- Please, also let us know of any dietary or mobility issues.
- CLAS Driver is Tes Tigabu, he will invoice CLAS directly if you choose to hire him; Tes can be contacted via email (click here) or by phone at (615)424-3397.)
- Sponsoring departments are responsible for organizing and promoting the event, including publicity/flyers. CLAS is happy to help create the flyers, but we will need ample lead time (two weeks) and all of the details (date, time, location, title, etc.) of the event. We also happy to help choose appropriate spaces for the event.
- Send to the CLAS Administrative Assistant all of the details of the event (date, time, location, title, etc.) at least 10 days prior to the event so that we can include it on our calendar and promote it through our weekly listserv.
Please click here to download a pdf copy of these guidelines