Professor Bornhop’s interdisciplinary research program integrates chemistry, optics, biophysics, chemical biology and biomedical engineering. His group employs nanoscale sensing tools that engage systems biology, for pharmacologic studies, mechanistic inquiry, as well as biomarker validation and the advancement of “personalized medicine”. Dr. Bornhop is heavily invested in establishing interdisciplinary courses and promoting industrial – academic collaborations.
71. “Free-Solution, Label-Free Molecular Interactions Studied by Back-scattering Interferometry.” D.J. Bornhop, J. C. Latham, A. Kussrow, D.A. Markov, R.D. Jones, and H.S. Sørensen, Science, Sep.21;317(5845): 1732-1736 (2007). PMID: 17885132
87. “Label Free Quantification of Membrane-Ligand Interactions Using Backscattering Interferometry.” M.M. Baksh, A. Kussrow, M. Mileni, M.G. Finn, D. J. Bornhop, Nature Biotechnology, 29(4):357-360 (2011). PMID:21399645 Reported in The Economist, Print Edition
98. “The effect of hybridization-induced secondary structure alterations on RNA detection using backscattering interferometry,” N. Adams, I. Olmsted, F. Haselton, D.J. Bornhop, D. Wright, Nucleic Acids Research, 41 (9): e103 (2013). PMID:23519610 PMC:3643578
108. “Physiologically Relevant Binding Affinity Quantification of Monoclonal Antibody PF-00547659 to MAdCAM for In-Vitro In-Vivo Correlation”, A. Kussrow, D. M. O’Hara, M. Wang, M. F. Ocana, J. R. Chabot, and C. S. Lepsey D.J. Bornhop, British Journal of Pharmacology, 174, 70-81(2017), DOI:10.1111/bph.13654.
106. “Origin and prediction of free-solution interaction studies performed label-free”, D.J. Bornhop, M.N. Kammer, A. Kussrow, R.A. Flowers and J. Meiler, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. (2016). Mar 22;113(12):E1595-604. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1515706113
116. “Compensated interferometry measures of CYFRA 21-1 improve diagnosis of lung cancer”. M.N. Kammer, A. Kussrow, R.L. Webster, H. Chen, M. Hoeksema, R. Christenson, P. P. Massion, and D.J. Bornhop, ACS Combinatorial Science, 216, 465-472 (2019). DOI: 10.1021/acscombsci.9b00022, Journal Cover Article
122. “Integrated Biomarker for the Management of Indeterminate Pulmonary Nodules”, M. N. Kammer, D. Lakhani, A. B. Balar, Sanja L Antic, Amanda K Kussrow, Rebekah L Webster, S. Mahapatra, U. Barad, C. Shah, T Atwater, B Diergaarde7, J. Qian2, A. Kaizer4, Y. Balagurunathan, S. Helmey, S-C Chen, Joseph Bauza, S. A. Deppen, K. Sandler, F. Maldonado, A. Spira, E. Billatos, T. Marsh, M. B. Schabath, R. J. Gillies, David Wilson, E. L. Grogan, B. Landman, A, E. Barón, H. Chen, D. J. Bornhop, P. P. Massion, Am J Respir Crit Care Med 204:11, 1306–1316, (2021) DOI.org/10.1164/rccm.202012-4438OC PMID: 34464235