PhD, Yale University
Professor Trigo’s research interests include Nineteenth- and Twentieth-century Latin American Literature; Women’s Writing; Psychoanalysis; Puerto Rican studies and Autobiography. He is particularly interested in thinking and writing about the intersection of the body and writing. His publications include Remembering Maternal Bodies (2006), Subjects of Crisis (2000), Noir Anxiety (Co-authored with Kelly Oliver. 2003) and two edited collections: Kristeva’s Fictions (2013) and Foucault and Latin America (2002). He has also published articles in Academic journals such as Cultural Critique, MLN, Revista de Estudios Hispánicos, Revista Iberoamericana, Comparative Studies in Society and History, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos, Hispanic Journal, Caribe and others. He is currently working on a book manuscript provisionally titled Self-Sacrifice: A Malady of the Puerto Rican Soul on the effect of neocolonialism on the Puerto Rican imaginary during the American Century. He teaches courses on colonial pathologies, autobiography, the melancholy novel and foundational fictions. He has served the profession through committees in his professional association (MLA). He is a member of the editorial board for Revista de Estudios Hispánicos and Dissidences. He has served his community by sitting on the board of directors of the Luis A Ferré Foundation and of the Ponce Museum of Art. He currently sits on the Education Council of the Frist Center for the Visual Arts in Nashville. You can get more information on his publications as well as a copy of some of his articles at http://vanderbilt.academia.edu/BenignoTrigo
- Remembering Maternal Bodies (2006)
- Subjects of Crisis (2000)
- Noir Anxiety (Co-authored with Kelly Oliver. 2003)
- Kristeva’s Fictions (2013)
- Foucault and Latin America (Edited) (2002)
- Published articles in Academic journals such as Cultural Critique, MLN, Revista de Estudios Hispánicos, Revista Iberoamericana, Comparative Studies in Society and History, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos, Hispanic Journal, Caribe.
- “Clemente Pereda: el gran ayunador; Entrevista a Clemente Pereda Berríos.” Revista Exégesis. Recinto de Humacao de la Universidad de Puerto Rico. Forthcoming. 2013.
- “On Kristeva’s Fiction.” Journal of French and Francophone Philosophy. 21.1 (2013). 60-82.
- “Peacemaker: The Foraker Act and the Poetry of Evaristo Ribera Chevremont.”Revista de Estudios Hispánicos. 47.2. 2013. 1-23.
Accepted presentations in panels at forthcoming professional conferences:
- “Breaking the Pledge of Caribbean Identity; On Clara Lair as Melancholy Theoretician.” LASA, San Francisco CA, 2012.
- “Colonial Sublimations of a Noir Eros; On Edgardo Rodríguez Juliá´s police novels.” MLA, Seattle CA 2012.
- “Noir Analysis: How Kristeva’s Detective Novels Renew Psychoanalysis.” MLA, Seattle CA, 2012.
- Recent invitations to present papers at international universitites
- “A Deadly Passion; The Avant-garde in Puerto Rico.” University of Cape Town. School of Languages and Literature. Cape Town, South Africa. 2012.
- “A Deadly Passion; The Avant-garde in Puerto Rico.” University College, Spanish and Latin American Studies Department. London. 2012.
Accepted panels at forthcoming professional conferences:
- “Julia Kristeva´s Fiction and Theory”
- MLA, Seattle CA 2012
- “Nuevas lecturas de la obra de Rosario Ferré”
- LASA, San Francisco CA, 2012