Graduate Grants and Fellowships
A number of stipends and scholarships are available to prospective graduate students. Financial awards are paid out on an twelve-month schedule; the first check is issued on August 31 and the last check at the end on July 31st of the following year.
University Tuition Scholarships are service-free awards that pay all or part of tuition costs. The following graduate awards are normally supplemented by a full University Tuition Scholarship, which usually includes student health insurance coverage: University Fellowships, Graduate Teaching Assistantships, Graduate Research Assistantships, Traineeships, and Teacher Training Awards.
Our standard graduate teaching assistantship includes full tuition benefits, an annual stipend of $22,200 (AY 2011-2012), and medical insurance.In addition to the standard graduate assistantship, the Graduate School awards the following honor fellowships to highly qualified incoming students:
University Graduate Fellowship ($10,000 a year), Harold Stirling Vanderbilt Graduate Scholarship ($6,0000 a year), and the Provost Graduate Fellowship for Under-represented Minority Graduate Students ($10,000 a year).
These honor fellowships are added to the graduate teaching assistantship for a period of five years. For further details please see: http://www.vanderbilt.edu /gradschool/fees_and_financial_support/#scholarships.
Throughout their time at Vanderbilt, graduate students can apply for additional financial support.
- is a service-free fellowship targeted to outstanding students in the last year of their graduate programs to enable full-time work in their dissertations (tuition, health insurance, a $24,250 stipend, and a $2,000 research fund).
- provide support for participation in national and international conferences ($500 for domestic travel and $1,000 for foreign travel).
- The Graduate School conducts two annual competitions for Dissertation Enhancement Grants of up to $2,000. These grants are designed to support research and travel for the dissertation.
- FLAS Summer Awards to study Portuguese, Quechua or other indigenous languages (tuition up to $5,000 and a $2,500 stipend); Simon Collier Travel Award for research in Latin America, especially Argentina and Chile ($500 to $2,000); Tinker Field Research Grant to support summer travel expenses related to field research in Latin America or Iberia ($2,000).
- are offered to accelerate progress towards scholarly publications (up to $2,000).