Dan Cornfield is quoted by Reuters (November 10, 2014) on the Teamsters FedEx Freight union drive, and in the New York Times (November 12, 2014) on Volkswagen Chattanooga’s innovative approach to mobilizing labor organizations within its workplace.
Two Sociology faculty members received recent funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- David Hess received $750K in NSF funding for his collaborative project, “Water Conservation and Hydrological Transitions in American Cities,” with George Hornberger, Director of VIEE and Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Vanderbilt.
- Holly McCammon received $245K in NSF funding for her project, “Litigation Strategies in U.S. Social Movements.”
Professor Holly McCammon received the Vanderbilt Chancellor’s Award for Research for her book, The U.S. Women’s Jury Movement and Strategic Adaptation. The book traces the events that led to women winning the right to sit on juries in 15 U.S. states. It was published in 2014 by Cambridge University Press.
Larry Isaac and Holly McCammon were inducted into the Sociological Research Association at the 2014 annual meeting of the American Sociological Association in San Francisco.
The article, “Understanding How Race/Ethnicity and Gender Impact Age-Trajectories of Disability: An Intersectionality Approach,” was published in Social Science and Medicine in 2011. See citation below:
Warner, David F. and Tyson H. Brown. 2011.“Understanding How Race/Ethnicity and Gender Impact Age-Trajectories of Disability: An Intersectionality Approach.” Social Science and Medicine, 72(8):1236-1248.
The Department of Sociology at Vanderbilt is pleased to welcome the following students to Graduate Studies:
- Elizabeth Barna (California Lutheran University)
- Kristen Forbes (Indiana University)
- Ashleigh Hope (University of Northern Colorado)
- Rachel McKane (University of Tennessee- Knoxville)
- Thomas Moore (University of Texas- San Antonio, University of Minnesota)
- Kasim Ortiz (Savanna State University, University of West Georgia)
- Megan Robinson (Southwestern University)
- Spencer Stubbs (University of Pennsylvania)