Two Sociology faculty members received recent funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- David Hess received $750K in NSF funding for his collaborative project, “Water Conservation and Hydrological Transitions in American Cities,” with George Hornberger, Director of VIEE and Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Vanderbilt.
- Holly McCammon received $245K in NSF funding for her project, “Litigation Strategies in U.S. Social Movements.”
Larry Isaac and Holly McCammon were inducted into the Sociological Research Association at the 2014 annual meeting of the American Sociological Association in San Francisco.
The article, “Understanding How Race/Ethnicity and Gender Impact Age-Trajectories of Disability: An Intersectionality Approach,” was published in Social Science and Medicine in 2011. See citation below:
Warner, David F. and Tyson H. Brown. 2011.“Understanding How Race/Ethnicity and Gender Impact Age-Trajectories of Disability: An Intersectionality Approach.” Social Science and Medicine, 72(8):1236-1248.
The Department of Sociology at Vanderbilt is pleased to welcome the following students to Graduate Studies:
- Elizabeth Barna (California Lutheran University)
- Kristen Forbes (Indiana University)
- Ashleigh Hope (University of Northern Colorado)
- Rachel McKane (University of Tennessee- Knoxville)
- Thomas Moore (University of Texas- San Antonio, University of Minnesota)
- Kasim Ortiz (Savanna State University, University of West Georgia)
- Megan Robinson (Southwestern University)
- Spencer Stubbs (University of Pennsylvania)
Pallavi Banerjee’s research was recently cited in a Washington Post blog. The article examines the inability of spouses of high-skilled immigrant workers to work in the United States and highlights a new law that is changing this phenomenon.
Banerjee’s research was also cited in a recent article on the same subject for India Abroad.
Dan Cornfield has been named a 2013 Fellow of the Labor and Employment Relations Association. This lifetime achievement award recognizes labor scholars and professionals who have made contributions of unusual distinction to the field over the course of 10 years or more. Click here for more information:
Research News @ Vanderbilt Article:
“Cornfield Named 2013 Labor and Employment Relations Association Fellow“
Holly McCammon has received the Southern Sociological Society’s 2015 Katherine Jocher-Belle Boone Beard Award for outstanding contributions to the study of gender.
Dan Cornfield is quoted in several news sources about the union organizing campaign at Volkswagen-Chattanooga. Professor Cornfield was quoted in the New York Times on January 29th, Canada’s The Globe and Mail on February 10th, BBC News on February 13th, the New York Times on February 16th, Al Jazeera America’s “Consider This” on February 17th, and Canada’s Maclean’s Magazine on February 21st.
Josh Murray is quoted in the Bloomberg News on October 11, 2013, which features a story focusing on baseball and drug use. Click here for the full story.
Tyson Brown spoke about the state of race relations and immigrant assimilation in the United States on NPR’s “On Point” on October 1, 2013. Click Here to Listen to the Story.