Summer Work Elsewhere
The College of Arts and Science legislation regarding summer work elsewhere states:
“Students enrolled in the College of Arts and Science may receive transfer credit for a maximum of two courses taken during summers at another four-year, fully accredited institution. To qualify for such credit, the student must be in good standing and must obtain authorization from the Dean and the appropriate department in advance of taking the course. Such courses cannot fulfill the AXLE requirements, count as part of the last 30 hours of residence, serve as repeat credit, or be taken on a pass-fail basis.”
- Student must be in good standing.
- The college or university must be a four-year, fully accredited institution with standards equivalent to those of Vanderbilt.
- The courses may not be taken on a repeat credit basis.
- The courses may not be taken on a pass-fail basis.
- The courses may not be used to satisfy AXLE requirements.
- The courses may not be part of the last 30 hours.
- For overseas programs, students must have a 2.700 grade point average overall or in the two semesters prior to requesting credit.
- For overseas programs, students should have some knowledge of the language of the country where the program is held.
If a student meets the conditions, the student must complete the following procedures by the second Friday in April prior to the summer session he or she plans to attend:
- Obtain summer schedule of courses from the school.
- Obtain course description (often found in the catalog or on the internet) of the course(s) he or she plans to take.
- Make an appointment to meet with a Dean. If the summer work plan is approved, the student will be given a form for departmental approval of the course(s).
- Take the Petition for Summer Elsewhere Approval Form to the appropriate department(s) for evaluation of the course(s).
- Take the signed form to the Registrar, 311 Kirkland Hall, for final approval.
- Upon completion of the course(s), request that an official transcript be sent to the Registrar's office.