Leave of Absence
All students are eligible to take a leave of absence, provided they have not been dropped by the University and are not dropped at the end of the semester during they apply for a leave. A student desiring a leave of absence should obtain application forms and instructions from the Dean's office in 311 Kirkland Hall.
Leaves are granted for one semester or for a year. Applications should be completed before the end of the fall semester for a leave of absence during the spring semester, and before August 15 for a leave of absence during the fall semester (or for the academic year).
Categories and Conditions
Any student who wishes to take a leave of absence for personal reasons should first confer with the Dean. Reasons for personal leave might include desire to travel, desire to work in some special program or project without academic credit, family problems, or desire to simply "find one's self" or gain a sense of direction.
In order to return to Vanderbilt, the student must register by the deadline and according to the instructions that are sent by the Registrar's office. In addition, at least one week prior to the first day of classes of the intended semester of return, the student must present to the Dean a written statement detailing activities while on leave.
Upon advice of an appropriate medical authority, a leave may be granted for one or two semesters by the Dean.
In order to return to Vanderbilt, the student must present to the Dean, at least one week prior to the first day of classes of the intended semester of return, a statement from appropriate medical authorities that the student's medical problem has been sufficiently solved so that normal study can be resumed. If the problem has been a psychological one, the Dean shall require a statement of clearance from the appropriate Student Health authorities at Vanderbilt.
Any student who feels that financial reasons prevent a return to Vanderbilt may be granted a leave of absence for one or two semesters by the Dean.
In order to return to Vanderbilt, the student must present to the Dean, at least one week prior to the first day of classes of the intended semester of return, a written statement that the student is capable of meeting the financial obligations of a full-time student.
- Each student applying should understand that return from a leave is not automatic, but rather it is subject to the conditions stated above.
- A student on leave of absence will be sent registration materials for the intended semester of return. Final registration is, of course, contingent upon the fulfillment of the terms of the leave of absence.
- A leave of absence will not be extended beyond one academic year.
- A student who fails to return to Vanderbilt at the completion of an approved leave, or who has failed to comply with the terms of the leave of absence, shall be withdrawn from the University.
- Each student should check with the Office of Housing and Residential Education before going on leave.